Friday, April 4, 2008

Blog #2

I believe that I can learn to write well simply because I believe in myself. Believing in oneself can cause great things to happen. Believing that you will be the one to change the world could set you on a path to find a cure for HIV/AIDS. When we have faith, there is no limit to what we can accomplish.

Throughout high school, I was involved in swimming and show choir; both are activities that take up oodles of time. One piece of advice that someone threw at me in one of those events, between all of the complaints that I smelled of chlorine : ) was: Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. So those sprints that we practice in the pool, if you only do them half-heartedly, you won't improve your times at the meets. The same thing goes for show choir, if you never rehearse full out, doing all the dance moves, singing all the notes, and making all the obnoxious facials, you won't be prepared to perform at capacity when called to.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I believe that I can learn to write well if I am given the tools and opportunities to do so. Giving someone a pen and paper and telling them to write a 10 page composition on rabbits doesn't do anything if they know nothing about writing compositions. But if someone gives you the same assignment but tells you that they will give you a guideline of how a good composition could be put together, the assignment all of a sudden becomes attemptable.

No comments: